An epic adventure in all things nerdy.

(Plus some zombies.)

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Trailers Galore

With the arrival of E3 suddenly all these trailers and teasers are floating about on the internet for a million games I'm dying to play, not the least of which is Space Marine, which promises to be amazing. I've been following this one since last year's E3, and I'm glad to hear it was picked up again, because the gameplay looked absolutely phenomenal then, it's sure to be even better now. I understand why they went with Ultramarines, they're practically the poster child for 40K, but I'd hoped for a little more variety. It wouldn't be totally unusual for Relic, considering they went with the lesser known Blood Ravens for Dawn of War II. Either way, it's totally irrelevant because there seems to be a 40K MMO in the works, let's just hope Dark Millennium Online doesn't go the way of Warhammer Online. However, with a trailer like this, my hopes are high.




What the heck is that Warhound doing running around crushing people? I mean, I know that's what Warhounds are supposed to do, but still, holy crap. I'm excited because I have a hole left in my life from quitting World of Warcraft, a space that can only be filled by an MMO, but until Old Republic comes out next spring, there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon. Though props to that guy in the trailer going at a Sith with a combat knife, that takes some balls. I've still got my fingers crossed to play as Togruta, I already know Twi'Lek are available, but Shaak Ti has always been one of my favorite characters.

Speaking of Star Wars, a bunch of trailers, gameplay and screenshots for The Force Unleashed II were... unleashed... and it looks to promise even crazier force powers and saber-chucking stunts than the last, if that's even possible. The trailer looks great, lots of suspense, combat, and a really big surprise. But as far as trailers go, this one really takes the cake (and that's no lie).



Give you the chills, doesn't it? I already read the review of it in Game Informer a couple months back, and it looks like Portal 2 is going to give us much of what was loved about the first game in a new but eerily familiar environment. What I look forward to most, however, is not the amazing gameplay or enthralling plot, it's listening to GLaDOS' witty, psychotic banter again. For science, you monster.

There's a lot more games from E3 I'm excited for, like Fable 3, Final Fantasy XIV, Infamous 2, Metroid Other M, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (Link has pants, wtf is up with that?), Lord of the Rings War in the North, Project Dust, Metal Gear Solid: Rising, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and Fallout: New Vegas. There's also some little rumors going around about Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 in 2011, but with all these awesome new games and sequels coming out, will I even have time?

6 comments:

  1. That 40k MMORPGer looks cool, and it'll be interesting to see how they play out. 40k has always been the more popular of the two lines here in the U.S., and I think people have been waiting for some sci-fi-based multiplayer. Not sure if it'll live up to FFG's pencil & paper RPG's though. (mmm Deathwatch...)

    I'll give it a shot if you will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music on Portal 2 is amazing. And the overgrown environment looks great. Hopefully, it will move more into the main HL2 universe and the Combine will feature; maybe that's what Glados means about "working together." Either way, I hope the cute little sentry guns make a return, ideally as allies.

    Dark Millenium looks great. I'm in, just because it looks like I have the option of being a World Eater. Time to start cutting me a rope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MMO looks interesting, but I think it needs to be a bit darker. When a game routinely uses the words grim and darkness, I expect both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those clone trooper guys look awesome! I don't care that its like 3,500 years before that happened, I want to look awesome and bad ass like a clone trooper anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not normally an MMO nut (the last one I actually paid for was FF XI), but I have hope for Dark Millennium Online. I was encouraged by this interview on GT (but slightly distracted by the awesome Space Marine costume lurking behind the interview guy). @Xaeromancer Can't wait for Portal2-- is it JCoul doing the music once again, natch? @Andy I thought there was something "wrong" with that Old Republic trailer. I'm sort of hoping the company that made the two trailers does a movie or a SW tv series-- a little too much use of slowmo in the second trailer, so the first one is still my fave... still not sure if I'll be buying into that one. @Zephri I can't agree more with your picks-- I loved that there seemed to be more titles differentiated based on their emphasis on art rather than just the same old tropes. Shank, Journey, Kirby, Rayman Origins, Scott Pilgrim, Deathspank, Lost in Shadow, Limbo, etc. to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, the WHDM trailer was cool, but the Old Republic trailer has me vibrating with anticipation. I play WoW but would drop it in a second to get into SWOR, Star Wars has always been my favourite movie series and alot of their games (Battlefront, Battlefront II, Force Unleashed) have been awesome, but that SWOR trailer takes the cake. If it's anything like the trailer I foresee myself playing ALOT of this game.

    ReplyDelete